Moist and fragrant. This Spanish inspired cake is a great tea time treat.
I have attempted to recreate the lemon and almond cake we ate whilst on holiday in Spain. The key elements I wanted to capture were the intense lemon flavor, the crunchy almonds on top and the moist cake with lemon curd center. I thought it might take a few attempts to perfect it but I baked this yesterday and it was like being back on holiday. So for those of your that like also like to be transported back to the Costa Blanca or who just want to try and intense lemon cake recipe, here it is....
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup of caster sugar
- 1 cup margarine
- 4 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups of self raising flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon curd
- 1tbsp flaked almonds
- 1tsp granulated sugar to decorate
- for the syrup
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- Preheat your oven to 190c gas mark 5 and grease and line a loaf tin.
- Cream the margarine and sugar together and add the lemon rind. (save a little bit for decoration)
- Add the eggs and mix until smooth
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, salt and almonds and mix.
- Pour half the mixture into the loaf tin
- Then spoon the lemon curd in a line down the center of the mix
- Cover the lemon curd with the remaining cake batter and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle flaked almonds down the center in a line
- Bake for 1 hour and ten minutes or until golden brown and springy to the touch
- Make the syrup by placing the lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Poke holes in the top of the cake with a fork and spoon the syrup over the cake.
- Sprinkle the granulated sugar on and the remaining lemon rind and leave to cool in the tin.
- Once cool remove from the tin.