300g strong white flour
½ x 5ml spoon salt
1 x 15ml spoon oil
1 sachet quick acting yeast (7g)
200ml warm water
Baking tray, pastry brush, weighing scales, mixing bowl, measuring jug, measuring spoons, flour dredger, palette knife and cooling rack.
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C or gas mark 8.
2. Grease or line the baking tray.
3. Place the flour and salt into the mixing bowl.
4. Stir in the yeast.
5. Make a well in the centre of the flour and add warm water and oil.
6. Work into a soft dough with your hand.
7. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 - 10 minutes until smooth.
8. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead. Divide the dough into 4-8 equal pieces.
9. Pat and roll each piece into shapes and place on the baking tray. (to shape into hedgehogs, roll into a ball and snip with kitchen scissors to make the spikes, pull out a snout shape and add some currents for eyes.)
10. Leave to rise until doubled in size
11. Brush bread rolls with a little milk and sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds, if desired.
12. Bake for 10 minutes, until the rolls sound hollow when tapped on the base.