|Sweet Saturday # 5 - recipe for English scones|
250g self raising flour
To make fruit scones, add 25g sugar and 75g currants or sultanas.
To make cheese scones, add 75g grated cheese and 1x 5 ml spoon of mustard or mixed herbs.
Baking tray, sieve, mixing bowl, measuring jug, palette knife, weighing scales, flour dredger, rolling pin, round scone cutters, pastry brush, oven gloves and cooling rack.
1. Preheat oven to 220ºC, gas mark 7.
2. Grease a baking tray.
3. Sift the flour into a bowl.
4. Rub the margarine into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add fruit and sugar or cheese.
5. Pour in the milk and mix into a soft dough. Save a little of the milk.
6. Place the dough on a floured working surface and knead lightly.
7. Roll out the dough until 1.5cm thick.
8. Shape into scones using a cutter.
9. Place scones onto the baking tray, brush the top of each scone with a little milk and bake for 12 – 15 minutes, until golden brown.