Tomato and basil tart
100g plain flour
50g butter or margarine
2-3x15ml spoons cold water
Handful of basil leaves
125ml semi-skimmed milk
50g cheese, e.g. Mozzarella, Gruyere or Cheddar
Weighing scales, sieve, mixing bowl, sandwich tin or 18cm flan ring and baking tray, palette knife, measuring spoons, measuring jug, rolling pin, flour dredger, small bowl, chopping board, knife, fork, grater.
1. Preheat the oven to 180oC or gas mark 4.
2. Make up the shortcrust pastry.
Sift the flour into the bowl.
Rub the butter or margarine into the flour, using your fingertips, until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Add the cold water and start to mix together.
Mix to form a firm, smooth dough.
3. Roll out the pastry, on a lightly floured surface.
4. Line the flan ring or sandwich tin.
5. Trim the edges of the pastry using the palette knife.
6. Prick the bottom of the pastry with a fork.
7. Slice the tomatoes.
8. Grate the cheese.
9. Whisk the eggs and milk together. Tear in the basil into the mixture, then add a few twists of black pepper.
10. Pour the egg mixture into the pastry shell.
11. Arrange the tomato slices and cheese over the top.
12. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden and firm.