There are many great food combos but one of my favourites is coconut and lime. Like a great cocktail, it transports me to a place with white sandy beaches and clear blue seas. So what could be better than that, combined with cake? Even better with a cuppa.
- 225g Dove’s self raising gluten free flour
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g butter
- 4 eggs
- 50g desiccated coconut
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp of lime juice
- 2 tbsp milk
For the icing
- 125g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp of desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180c gas mark 4
- Line a 7” deep round baking tin.
- In a mixer, mix the flour, caster sugar, butter, milk and eggs until well combined.
- Stir in the coconut, lime juice and zest.
- Spoon the mixture into the lined tin and level.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour, until risen and firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, sift the icing sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the tbsp of lime juice and mix until the icing coats the back of the spoon.
- Spread onto the top of the cooled cake and top with the zest and the tablespoon of desiccated coconut.
This cake is great for looking impressive but nice and simple to make. A great cake for a slice in the afternoon with a cup of tea.
Like this? You’ll love