|Lemon meringue pie|
Who doesn’t love the combination of buttery pastry, tangy lemon curd filling and crisp fluffy meringue. Not me anyway, this is a firm favorite in our household and a recipe that I come back to again and again.
200g plain flour
You will also need a 7” flan dish or pastry case.
- Preheat the oven to 190c / gas mark 5.
- Rub the margarine into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Cut the cold water into the mix until it begins to bind, form a ball and roll out to line the flan case.
- Blind bake for 15 minutes.
- To make the filling,
- Place the yolks, 100g of the caster sugar, lemon juice, zest and boiling water in a saucepan and mix well.
- Blend the cornflour with a little cold water to make a thin paste and add to the lemon mix.
- Bring to the boil stirring until the mixture is thick.
- Pour into the baked flan case
- Whisk the egg whites till stiff and then whisk in the 125g of caster sugar.
- Spread over the lemon mix and bake for 25 minutes until crisp and pale golden brown.