I would love to travel to the Caribbean but the closest I’ve got to it is eating some of it’s amazing food. I adore the combinations of sweet and salty, creamy coconut and fiery chilli. So I’ve cooked up three great Caribbean vegetarian recipes with the help of Grace foods for Caribbean Food week for my ultimate street party spread.
Caribbean vegetarian recipes
You will need:
- 300g grams basmati rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- Rinse the basmati rice in a sieve under cold running water then place in a heavy based saucepan.
- Add the coconut milk and then using the tin measure cold water and add this to the saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer with the lid on for 15 minutes.
- Check the rice whilst simmering to ensure it is not sticking.
- The rice is cooked when it is soft and all the liquid had been absorbed.
- 1 500g bag of quorn pieces.
- 1 heaped tablespoon of Jerk seasoning marinade
- Mix the quorn pieces with the jerk marinade and leave to absorb.
- Heat the oven to 180c and grease a baking dish.
- Place the marinated quorn pieces in the dish and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- (you could also try threading the pieces onto skewers for presentation)
Ackee with peas and beans
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced,
- 3 sping oinions, trimmed and chopped.
- 1 tin of ackee
- 1 tin of peas and beans
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- salt and pepper
Heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan and add the spring onions and peppers.
Fry until softened, then add the tomatoes, ackee and peas and beans.
Season well with salt and pepper and cook for a further five minutes.
Take care not to break up the ackee when stirring.
Bonus recipe – BBQ jerk dip
- 2 tbsps natural yogurt
- 1 tsp BBQ jerk sauce
Measure out the yogurt and jerk sauce into a dish and stir to combine.
Serve with plantain chips as a great snack.
What do you think of our great Caribbean vegetarian recipes. The boys and I had great fun making and eating this food. We put on some great tunes and got into the street party vibe.
If you want to find out more about grace foods and the Caribbean food week use these links or search for the #CFW2017